Hatch Chile is usually referred to as the different varieties of green and red chiles grown in the famous Hatch Valley. It is a small village located in Mexico. It’s a widely used ingredient because of its perfect blend of hot and sweetness. It provides a variety of flavors from mild to smoky to extra hot.
Along with flavors, Hatch Chile also provides plenty of nutritional benefits. Very few people are aware of the same.
Some of the important Vitamins and Mineral found in this ingredient are stated below:
Chile helps in iron formation in the blood. Iron combines with protein and copper to form hemoglobin, which transports oxygen in the blood.
It also helps in forming myoglobin, which is found in muscle tissue and supplies oxygen to muscle cells. Iron also helps in preventing fatigue and promotes good skin tone.
- Phosphorus and Calcium:
Both combined help in building and maintaining teeth and bones. Other benefits of calcium include maintaining lower blood pressure and preventing insomnia.
Magnesium helps in regulating the neuromuscular activity of the heart and maintains heart rhythm. It converts blood sugar into energy.
- Vitamin C:
Vitamin C is very important in the formation of collagen, a protein that helps in the formation of healthy skin, tendons, bones, and supportive tissues. It also helps in the fast healing of wounds and cuts.
- Vitamin A:
Vitamin A promotes the proper functioning of the body organs and boosts the immune system. It also helps in improving vision.
- Vitamin B6:
Vitamin B6 is a coenzyme that boosts the metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats for the proper functioning of the body.
Some of the other nutrients found in Hatch Chile are Potassium, Riboflavin or Vitamin B2, Niacin or Nicotinic Acid, Folate or Folic Acid, Tryptophan, Lysine, and Phenylalaine.
Looking to buy Hatch chiles? Check out our website here and purchase today.
Hatch Chile Recipes
There are a plethora of recipes that can be created from Hatch Chile. A few easy ones are mentioned below:
Hatch Chile Enchilada Pie
This recipe of Hatch Chile is a blend of delicacy and comfort food. The tinge of sweet and spicy flavor perfectly satiates the taste buds.
- 6 Hatch Chile peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, separately
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound boneless chicken
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 onion, chopped and 4 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 can diced tomatoes
- 12 (6 inches) tortillas
- 1 (8 ounces) packet shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Salt and pepper as per taste
Stuffed Hatch Chiles
Hatch Chiles filled with sweet and spicy quinoa and corn and topped with melted cheese is a dish to die for. Stuffed Hatch Chile is usually served with homemade cilantro yogurt sauce.
- 1 cooked up quinoa
- 4 Hatch Chiles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup red onions diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ shredded Mexican blend cheese
Hatch Chile Rice
Hatch Chile Rice is a very healthy recipe made using Hatch Chile. Any kind of rice can be used to prepare the dish in a fun and simple way.
- 2 Hatch Chiles
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 cup cooked long-grain white rice
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat small curd cottage cheese
- 2 teaspoon minced jalapeño pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 packet shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Preserving Hatch Chiles for future use:
The best thing about Hatch Chile is that it can be preserved for a considerable amount of time if stored the right way.
Given below are a few Hatch Chile preserving hacks:
- Roasting and Peeling technique:
When you roast Hatch Chiles, it releases a beautiful flavor and helps in removing the outer thick skin swiftly.
- Firstly, wash the chiles properly with cold water and pat them dry with a cloth.
- Then, use a high and constant flame to roast the chile for around 4-5 minutes approximately.
- Make sure all the parts of the chile are evenly roasted. After roasting, let it sit for some time so that the inner part of the chile is steamed properly.
- When the chile will slowly start to cool down, it forms a char on the outside.
- Once the chile cools down, slowly peel the skin and remove the stem by cutting it off and slice it into pieces as desired by you.
- It is advised to wash your hands after peeling the chile. Or wear w glove while doing it to avoid hurting your skin.
- Storing ideas:
After peeling off the skin, store the slices of the Hatch Chile in an airtight container or storage bags according to the size of the slices. If you are using a storage bag, make sure you squeeze the extra air out to prevent the chiles from dampening.
It is recommended to store within two hours of roasting. If stored properly, Hatch Chile can be used for up to 12 to 18 months with the taste remaining intact.
Chile Monster is a shipper of New Mexican Goods. We launched in 2010. We are a small business that operates out of Albuquerque, NM.
At Chilemonster you can purchase exquisite Hatch Green Chile with wonderful flavors that will tantalize your taste buds. We also provide a lot of other food items that could add wonders to your recipes.
You can explore our various cooking instructions and delicious Mexican recipes. We strive to provide the highest quality and fresh ingredients to our beloved customers. We keep offering various discounts and offers from time to time. You can also make wholesale inquiries at our website.